Academy Room and Board
We are pleased to offer housing in the Colburn residences to Academy students.
The Colburn school residences are conveniently located on the Colburn School campus in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. The residences consist of fully furnished two-bedroom, three-bedroom, and four-bedroom suites. Each suite contains a living area; kitchenette with a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and sink; a shared bathroom; and single bedrooms with extra-long twin beds, wardrobes and desks. Four-bedroom suites have two bathrooms. Approximately 20-25 students reside on each of the six floors of the residential building.
General Housing Policy
Students must be 16 years of age as of September 1, 2014 and enrolled in the Conservatory or Academy to qualify for housing in the residence hall. The Colburn School does not provide housing for parents, guardians, or other relatives of Academy students who are not enrolled in the Academy or Conservatory.
- On-premise security staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Access to Residential Life staff 24 hours daily via the emergency phone
- Practice rooms accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Student Lounge area, equipped with a television and a ping pong table, a fitness center, and a computer lab
- All suites are equipped with extra-long twin beds and are fully furnished
- All suites have wireless Internet access
- Onsite laundry facilities
Academy students living on-campus may enroll in the full meal plan, which provides students with breakfast, lunch and dinner, Monday through Friday, as well as breakfast and lunch on Saturdays at The Colburn Café. The Café is conveniently located on the Colburn School campus and is open between 7:30 am and 7:30 pm Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 2:30 pm on Saturdays, and 11:30 am to 6:30 pm Sundays . The Café is closed on holidays. Light breakfast is served on Sundays.
Boarding options available to Academy students (2013-14):
- PLAN A: $7,008 (~19 meals per week @ $219/week x 32 weeks)
- PLAN B: $5168 (~14 meals per week @ $161.50/week x 32 weeks)
- Plan B is required for all students living on campus and attending an online school
- PLAN C: $2720 (10 meals per week @ $85.00/week x 32 weeks)
- Plan C is required for all students living on campus and attending school off campus during the day
Students will automatically be signed up for the mandatory minimum meal plan (ex.: if you are attending a virtual high school and living on campus, you will be signed up for Plan B). If you wish to enroll in a meal plan above the minimum required, please notify the Academy Office. Students receive a 5% discount on Café purchases.
Health Insurance Policy
All students living on campus are required to have U.S.-based health insurance. The premium for medical insurance through The Colburn School's medical provider (Kaiser Permanente) is approximately $2438, with coverage from August 1, 2013 through July 31, 2014.
Residence Hall Fees (2014-15)
Single room: $9500
Shared room (double): $7000*
*A limited number of shared rooms are available. Early admissions applicants receive priority consideration for all housing requests. Visit the Apply page for more information about how to apply.
Off-Campus Housing Option
There are a number of housing options in the downtown L.A. area. Many students reside in the Museum Towers complex located next door to The Colburn School (http://www.towersapartmentsla.com/). If assistance in finding off-campus housing is needed, please contact the Academy Office.
Contact the Academy Office at (213) 621-4795 or firstname.lastname@example.org.