Facilities and Performance Spaces
The Colburn School campus is a modern, state-of-the-art designed set of interconnected buildings located at Olive and Grand Avenues, including 421,846 square feet of performance halls, rehearsal areas, practice rooms, teaching studios, administrative offices, and student housing, and a plaza in downtown Los Angeles. Neighbors include the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Music Center, and the Broad Museum.
The 101,864 square-foot Grand Avenue Building, designed by the architectural firm Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates, was built in 1998, housing Zipper Hall, rehearsal and studio spaces, and administrative offices. In 2007 a campus expansion by Pfeiffer Partners Architects was completed, adding the 326,273 square-foot Olive Street Building with more rehearsal, studio, and performance spaces, as well as student housing, offices, and a café. The two buildings are connected by an 8,600 square foot plaza.
Also within the Grand Avenue Building is an important piece of musical history: the Lloyd Wright-designed studio of legendary violinist Jascha Heifetz. Originally situated in the late Heifetz’s backyard, it was saved from demolition and rebuilt on the third floor of the building. It is currently the teaching studio of violinist Robert Lipsett, Jascha Heifetz Distinguished Violin Chair.
- Zipper Hall – Located in the Grand Avenue Building and named in honor of the late Herbert Zipper, the 430-seat auditorium serves as a performance space for students and faculty, as well as visiting artists and ensembles.
- Thayer Hall – Located in the Olive Street Building, Thayer Hall is a 193-seat recital space with a 550 square-foot stage which hosts numerous recitals and master classes throughout the year.
- Mayman Recital Hall – The flexible 80-seat Mayman Recital Hall is located in the Grand Avenue Building, with a stage of about 800 feet.
- Olive Rehearsal – 5,700 sq. ft.
- Grand Rehearsal – 1,658 sq. ft.
- P242 – 700 sq. ft.
Colburn School Library
The Colburn School Library is open to the public, though check-out privileges are only available to Colburn School students, faculty, and staff. The Library currently houses approximately 10,000 scores and parts, 7,000 audio-visual materials, and 3,600 books.
The Colburn Café is located in the Olive Street Building, accessible from the plaza. The café is open to the public and operated by Eurest.