The Symphonic Band is designed for fifth through eighth graders who have played their wind and percussion instrument for 1–3 years. No previous band experience is required. This ensemble emphasizes band fundamentals, instrumental technique, and ensemble skills.
Rehearsals: Thursdays, 4–5 pm and Saturdays, 12–1:30 pm
Sectionals: Thursdays, 5–6 pm
The Concert Band is an ensemble designed for middle and high school wind and percussion students who demonstrate playing ability at the intermediate level. No previous band experience is required. This ensemble emphasizes music reading and ensemble skills.
Rehearsals: Thursdays, 5–6:30 pm and Saturdays, 2–3:30 pm
Sectionals: Saturdays, 4–5 pm
The Wind Ensemble is intended for high school intermediate through advanced level wind and percussion students. Repertoire includes original and arranged works for winds. This ensemble emphasizes music reading and ensemble skills, as well.
Rehearsals: Mondays, 6–9 pm
All ensembles meet for 16 weeks each semester. If you have any questions, please contact the Community School office at 213-621-4548.
Auditions for the 2020–21 academic year will be held through an online submission. Starting in April, submissions can be made through the application below. If students do not have access to their instruments required for the audition, record as much as possible and Community School staff will follow up with students who are missing audition material to send at a later date.The application will close on July 30.
Minimum Age Requirements
Symphonic Band: 5th grade (some age exceptions made)
Concert Band: 6th grade (some age exceptions made)
Wind Ensemble: 9th grade (some age exceptions made)
Online Submission Instructions
- Please record yourself playing the excerpts and required pieces posted below for the corresponding ensemble and upload the video to YouTube.
- Start your video by stating your full name and what ensemble(s) you are auditioning for.
- Please name the file by the following format:
First name Last name.Instrument (for example, John Smith.Violin)
- When uploading the video to YouTube, make sure the video is marked unlisted or public. If you do not want the video to be public, marking it unlisted will not allow the general public to find the video, but will allow you to share the link with the Community School.
- The audition recording must be made continuously and without cuts. We want to see a true depiction of how well you can play.
Symphonic Band and Concert Band
1. Concert B-flat, F, E-flat, A-flat, and chromatic scales (one octave by memory)
2. One short lyrical (melodic) etude of your choice
3. One short technical etude (faster with articulations) of your choice
1. One short etude of your choice on the snare drum or drum pad
2. One short etude of your choice on a mallet instrument
3. Concert B-flat, F, E-flat, A-flat, and chromatic scales (one octave by memory)
1. Excerpts; prepare the two (2) required excerpts below:
Alto Saxophone (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Baritone Saxophone (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Bassoon (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Euphonium (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Flute (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Horn (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Tenor Saxophone (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
Trumpet (excerpt 1) (excerpt 2)
2. Prepared solo; record approximately two minutes of a solo of your choice that you feel best represents your musicianship. Include sections demonstrating both technical and lyrical ability. It does NOT need to be memorized. Percussionists: prepare your solo on snare as well as mallet.
3. Prepare the chromatic scale (ascending and descending) over the entire range you are comfortable on your instrument.