Audition in Los Angeles
We do not hold regional auditions. Applicants who are invited to the live audition must travel to Los Angeles and be available from 8 am–8 pm on their assigned audition day for all the audition-related activities. Travel should be planned accordingly. Dates are subject to change. Please do not book your travel until you have received an audition invitation. Audition dates by instrument are posted below. For instruments that have multiple days of auditions, you will only be required to attend one audition date. If invited to the live audition, a date will be assigned to you in your invitation letter. Openings are subject to change without notice.
Auditions are held in Los Angeles each year in February. Exact audition dates will be posted later in the fall.
The audition day allows us to become better acquainted with prospective students and includes more than just your audition. Because of this, we ask that you make yourself available from 8 am to 8 pm on your assigned date.
Here’s what to expect:
- An audition before a committee of faculty members
- A lesson or meeting with a faculty member (for selected students)
- Assessment testing in music theory for BM and PD applicants
- A group interview with a senior administrator or faculty committee
- Review and signing of the school’s Student Performance Fact Sheet
- An interview and an essay writing exam for non-native English speakers
- Other assessments as determined by the school
There are several hotels within walking distance of the Colburn School. The hotels in Little Tokyo are the farthest, but you can hop on the DASH that runs up 1st Street and walk a block to Colburn on Grand and 2nd Street. Or take a short Lyft or Uber ride to the campus. Feel free to check in with the Admissions Office regarding hotel choices.