How to Apply
Application and Pre-Screening Videos
The Music Academy application requires you to submit basic biographical information, pre-screening videos, a resume, and a letter of recommendation. The application fee is $80.
Here are some helpful hints as you prepare your application:
- Review our prescreening and audition guidelines.
- Acceptable computer files are mpeg, mpg, mp4, mov, avi, wmv, m4v, vob
- Record the movement in its entirety within a complete take and without editing. There is no time limit on a movement.
- Upload each piece as a separate file. When naming the file, use the composer and composition names (example: Chopin Scherzo No. 4). Your name does not need to be included in the computer file name.
- Just like sound quality with live performances is important, sound quality is important with your prescreening video. Use the best audio equipment as possible, preferably with an audio feed directly into the video camera.
- Applicants may submit more videos than the required minimum.
Your resume should include:
- A list of major public performances: Include dates (month and year), venue name, and event information.
- Musical accomplishments: Tell us about any scholarships, awards, and prizes, including their names and prize amounts. List them in chronological order starting with the most recent.
- Solo repertoire: Name the solo repertoire you’ve learned and memorized since June 2017.
Letter of recommendation: We require a letter of recommendation by a professional musician who can attest to your musical background. Upload the letter directly to the application. The letter may also be mailed to:
Colburn Music Academy
200 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Note: your application and enrollment fee is non-refundable.