The Violin Ensemble is an entry-level ensemble for the Community School of Performing Arts pre-college orchestra program. Appropriate for both Suzuki and traditional violin students, an emphasis is placed on reinforcing reading skills, expanding music theory concepts, introducing orchestral performance techniques, and developing musicianship. Approximately 24 student musicians are accepted each year.
Participants must study privately and are required to have finished Joanne Martin, I Can Read Music, Volume 1 prior to audition and Charles S. Peter & Paul Yoder, Master Theory, Book 1 (up to lesson 15) prior to the first meeting. No previous orchestral experience is necessary.
All new and returning students must audition for placement.
Weekly on Wednesdays, 6–6:40 pm
Auditions for the 2020–21 academic year are canceled until further notice. Visit this page to learn more about fall semester updates.
Minimum Age Requirement
3rd grade; must be eight years old by September 1, 2020
Required Minimum Level of Playing
Dvořák: Humoresque (Suzuki Vol. 3)
Auditions for the 2020–21 academic year will be held through an online submission. Starting in April, submissions can be made through the application below. The application will close on July 30.
Please record yourself playing the required pieces below for the ensemble and upload the video to YouTube:
- Any 2 or 3 octave scale of your choice. The scale should be memorized and played slurred, 2 quarter notes per bow, at a moderate tempo. (quarter note = 72)
- A polished solo piece. Choose 2 to 3 minutes that represent your technical skill and musicianship. (Please do not use an accompanist for the recording and note that the minimum playing requirement is Dvořák: Humoresque (Suzuki Vol. 3)
Online Submission Instructions
- Start your video by stating your full name and what ensemble(s) you are auditioning for.
- Please name the file by the following format: First name Last name.Instrument
For example, John Smith.Violin
- When uploading the video to YouTube, make sure the video is marked unlisted or public. If you do not want the video to be public, marking it unlisted will not allow the general public to find the video, but will allow you to share the link with the Community School.
- The audition recording must be made continuously and without cuts. We want to see a true depiction of how well you can play.